I remember the first time I went to buy makeup for myself, I had no clue what I needed or how to wear it. The lady at the counter was nice enough to help me buy the most expensive stuff and offered no advice on how to use it. There weren’t as many makeup tutorials back then either and it was harder to buy the right products. There are so many makeup ‘gurus’ now that it still seems confusing for a newbie, so here is another post to clarify(or confuse you further) the best products for a newbie.
- Primer – This product will change your whole makeup game. If you ever wonder how makeup artists achieve such flawless finish on their model’s then this is what you’ve been looking for. Makeup primers act like a base for the foundation, minimize the appearance of pores and also provide a smooth surface for the foundation to glide on. This is due to the silicones present in it. So these can also be called skin perfectors. Primers also prevent your makeup from looking caked up and forgive you for all your skin sins(almost!). I am currently using Sephora Ultra Smoothing Primer, if this is too out of budget for you Maybelline Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser Primer is a great budget friendly option.
- Foundation – Buying a foundation today has become as complicated as buying a house! You have cream foundations, stick foundations, liquid foundations, BB creams, CC creams, powders, cushions etc. And the list goes on. So what should you buy? Firstly you need to see what kind of coverage you need. If you don’t have any skin concerns then a light to medium coverage foundation is good enough. If you suffer from acne, rosacea or pigmentation you’re going to need a full coverage foundation. According to experts, water-based foundations are good for oily skin and oil-based foun dations for dry skin. Faves : Etude House Face Blur (BB cream) and Teint Idole Ultra 24H Wear & Comfort Foundation SPF 15.
- Setting powder – If you live in a hot country like I do, you have to face the sweltering heat 8 months in a year. So it’s a great idea to actually set your foundation or your makeup will start melting off your face. Post foundation make sure to press powder especially on oilier or sweatier parts of your face. Faves : Maybelline New York Fit Me Matte Plus Poreless Powder, Translucent.
- Eyeshadow quads – No makeup look is complete without dolling up the eyes . But, when you’re a newbie like I was once all the matching of colours can get a bit confusing. So to make your life easier it is best to avoid buying big palettes and instead buy a couple of eye shadow quads. My recommendation is to buy one nude palette for your day and one smoky for evening looks. Faves: L’Oreal Paris Color Riche Les Ombres Eye Shadow Quads and Maybelline Diamond Glow Quad Eye Shadow, Lilac Mauve.
- Eyeliner – A good quality kohl can transform your look. Whether used on the lid or in the waterline this gives a finished look to your makeup that no other product can achieve. Buy an eyeliner pen and a good non smudging kohl. Faves: Maybelline The Colossal Liner and Maybelline New York Colossal Kajal.
- Lipliner – I am not going to include lipsticks in this list because that’s a very obvious one. How can you talk about makeup and exclude lipsticks, but because even the most clueless know about lipsticks and own a few as all. I am going to tell you about lipliners. Lipliners are to your lips what highlighters are to a book. They will help you improve the shape of your lips and get perfect luscious lips all women crave for.Faves : Colorbar Definer Lip Liner.
- Eyebrow pencil – Eyebrows are all the rage these days. Big, bold, over drawn and dark eyebrows are in vogue. So get with the trend and invest in a good quality eyebrow pencil. A good product is
Mascara – Lastly, the product that will give you those beautiful fluttry lashes just like Marilyn Monroe. The mascara. I highly recommend Maybelline The Falsies.
I’d love to hear your thoughts on the products I mentioned or any you believe I missed, do leave me a comment below!